Fundations Level K focuses on letter formation, print knowledge, alphabetic awareness, and phonological and phonemic awareness training. By the end of Level K students will be able to:
- Read and spell approximately 200 CVC words
- Write manuscript letters in lower- and upper-case associated with sounds
- Understand concepts of print
- Identify separate words in an oral sentence, segment words into syllables, and segment syllables into sounds (phonemes) – up to 3 sounds
- Know alphabetic order and a-z letter/sound relationships (map letter to sound and sound to letter)
- Retell short narrative stories and echo-read a passage with phrasing and expression.
Alphabet Linking Chart and our Lined Paper
Below is the Alphabet Linking Chart from Fundations that we use in our classroom. The chart is read like this:
A apple /a/ B bat /b/ C cat /c/ D dog /d/ E Ed /e/ F fun /f/ G game /g/ H hat /h/ I itch /i/ J jug /j/ K kite /k/ L lamp /l/ M man /m/ N nut /n/ O octopus /o/ P pan /p/ Q queen /qu/ R rat /r/ S snake /s/ T top /t/ U up /u/ V van /v/ W wind /w/ X fox /x/ Y yellow /y/ Z zebra /z/.
You can see the Fundations program comes with special lined paper to help the children form the letters correctly right from day one. We refer to the lines as the "Sky Line" "Plane Line" "Grass Line" and "Worm Line".